3 Days and Counting…

March 2nd, 2010

Well, it is almost spring break!  I must tell you that the last couple of weeks has not been the most pleasant for me, or for most of my peers here at Wooster.  You see, in the two weeks or so leading up to spring break, all the professors decide that it would be a really, really good idea to give their class a midterm, or a big paper, or a project, something that will keep us nice and stressed out for a few days so we can better enjoy our two weeks of freedom in the middle of March.  Actually, what happened to me this week was that all the papers and midterms that I was supposed to have this week have been turned into take home exams due after spring break.  Great.  Although I dislike feeling stressed out about papers and tests during the week, I hate being stressed out about those same things while on vacation even more.  I’m not being completely honest though.  I was overjoyed to find that I had two more weeks to work on these assignments because right now, my spring break plans have me all frazzled.

This first week of spring break I have the honor of traveling with the Wooster chorus through Pennsylvania, Virginia, and into Washington DC, performing a glorious selection of choral music.  Each day we will travel to a new town, where we will be performing a concert.  We get a free day to relax in Washington DC at the end of the week.  I”m very excited because my grandparents and my mom’s cousin are coming to see my concert in Pittsburg!  My mother was also a member of the Wooster chorus back in the day, so the Chorus has always had special significance to my family.  I shall have a fun, albeit exhausting, first week of spring break.

Yes, I said “first week” because Wooster is awesome and gives the students a whopping two whole weeks of spring break.  For the second week I will be going to West Virginia on a community service project, I hope.  You see, I have been planning this trip since school started back in September.  Yes, that’s right, September.  I’m the treasurer for the International Student Association (ISA) on campus.  Last year, the ISA collaborated with Circle K International, and the Wooster Volunteer Network and took a group of 29 students (plus one adult reflection leader) on a wonderful service trip to Montgomery, West Virginia.  This year, the ISA wanted to continue this tradition because we felt it was an excellent way for International Students to meet domestic students, and not only see more of the US, but become more socially engaged with different communities.  I volunteered to handle the planning, but missed deadlines and apparent lack of commitment by the participants caused myself and others to consider canceling the trip altogether.  This is not at all what I want to do.  It is not fair to the students who really want to go; it is not fair to the organization we’re working with who are really looking forward to our work.  However, it is not fair to the people of West Virginia to bring a group that is not committed to the service they will be doing.  So, we’re having a mandatory meeting tonight, and afterward I’ll make the call.  I really, really hope it works out.  I will remain positive however, and hope for the best!  I’ve got to go now, I need to go to chorus rehearsal and get ready for the Chorus tour! 🙂