Spring Break Part 1: Chorus Tour

March 24th, 2010

Wow, I’m sorry everyone for the two-week absence.  I know I promised to post every week, but I’ve been on Spring Break!  Not the wild, party strewn spring breaks in the Caribbean that get publicized way to much for their own good, but (in my opinion) a trip much more satisfying and mentally stimulating.  Unlike most schools, Wooster is super cool and gives us two whole weeks of spring break.  I spent the first week traveling to Washington DC with the Wooster Chorus, stopping each night in a different town to perform a concert.  We stopped in Pittsburg, Lancaster, and Wayne, PA, Dale City, VA, and Pikesville and Bethesda MD.  At each venue, we performed at a church, and then members of the church would host us at their homes for the night.  We had a free day in Washington DC on Thursday, and I spent the entire day running around the downtown area trying to get to as many tourist spots as was humanly possible.  As you can see in the pictures below, I had quite a good time at the Botanical Gardens, the Washington Monument, and the Capitol.

It was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work, and we spent a the first part of this semester preparing for this concert.  We sing all our music memorized (except this one song this year that was just insanely long!).  This year I thought we had a wide variety music represented in our concert.  We sang a few songs in languages other than English.  I really liked that because the languages we sang in were not very common.  One song was in Ladino ( a language spoken by the Sephardic Jews in the Middle Ages) and a Venezuelan indigenous dialect.  We sang music by contemporary composers like Eric Whitacre, and classical composers like J.S. Bach.  I just had a wonderful time, and it was a privilege and an honor to be able to perform so many times for so many people.  I was truly touched by their outstanding comments at the receptions after each concert.  I am also extremely grateful for everyone who opened their homes to us and gave us a dry, warm bed to sleep in each night… well, except that one couple… haha, only joking.  Seriously, the home stays were all amazing.  You just get to meet so many interesting people, not to mention, you get to spend the night in some really cool houses!

Okay, I’m going to sign off for now, because I’m about ready to fall asleep, and it’s only 10:00pm!  But stay tuned for my next installment of Spring Break Part 2: West Virginia, the must-see sequel 🙂