1st Annual International Food Festival!

March 28th, 2010

Well, I don’t know about you, I’m quite pleased with how my first weekend back from spring break is going!  Yes, it’s true on Friday that I did sit in the Library until it closed at 10pm, and then migrated to Lowry Center to work some more until 11pm but I am proud of the work I accomplished that night.  I’m also happy with all the stuff I managed to get done during the day on Saturday.  It was crazy how busy EVERYONE seemed to be even though it was IS week and the seniors generally don’t do a whole lot of stuff.

I’m a TA for the Peace Studies class this semester, and they have a big paper due tomorrow, so I spent a good chunk of time Friday afternoon meeting with students and going over what they were going to write about.  Basically, the students are focusing on one particular country that they picked at the start of the semester, and they are researching the current state of violence in this country as well as the history of violence in the country.  The paper concludes with their personal vision for what peace would look like in this country.  I was quite impressed with the amount of work that the students who’ve come to see me have done.  They had some really good questions, and I think they’ll do a nice job.

Saturday night, my brain was so fried I couldn’t do any work, so I  went to see the Saakumu Dance troupe perform in McGaw Chapel.  It was fun, interactive concert full of dancing, singing, and all sorts of wonderful music from all over Ghana.  I could swear though that I’ve seen this troupe perform in Vermont before because the leader seemed so familiar.

Today, the International Student Association held the 1st International Food Festival.  Wooster students cooked food from Spain, Argentina, Burma, The Netherlands, Texas, Lebanon, India, Japan, Egypt, and Jamaica.  We had judges tasting the food, and over 100 people showed up!  We actually ran out of drinks, which was good because that means we got more people than expected!  We just had a lot of really nice feedback and a lot of people really enjoyed it.  So, now you can start planning for next year’s 2nd International Food Festival!!