Spring Break Part II: West Virginia

April 6th, 2010

I think it might be a bit late to write a Part II from spring break, but I’m going to go ahead and write it anyway (1) because I said I would and (2) because I’m in a rebellious mood and can’t wait to challenge societal norms.  How will I challenge societal norms?  I have no idea, but I like to think that since I said it, I will by default have done it, if that makes any sense.

So, you wanna hear about West Virginia eh?  Okay, I’ll start out by saying that it was WONDERFUL!  I know that in an earlier post I had expressed some doubts about the success of the trip, but it all pulled through in the end and everyone had, I think a very nice time.  It was a service trip, so it’s not like we went tanning on the beach, we were actually doing some serious physical labor!  A small group of us dug ditches every single day to drain water that was coming off the mountains away from people’s homes.  The rest of us painted houses, which was challenging in and of itself.  You had to be very precise and very patient.  We did our own cooking and participated in a group reflection every night.  It was very insightful.  I think we all walked away feeling a little bit differently about ourselves, and I know we all definitely saw the world in a different light.  I’d love to talk more about this experience, but I have a feeling it could be quite long, so I will sign off now.  However, I’d ask you all to think about doing a little service work yourself in the future.  It’s good for the soul. 🙂

2 Responses to “Spring Break Part II: West Virginia”

1. Patty Dakhlion 27 Oct 2012 at 12:57 pm

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Morocco from 1983-85 now living in Wooster, and I was looking for Moroccan students at the College of Wooster because it’s Aid l’Kabeer, and I was hoping there was some celebration. Your blog turned up in my search. Are you still at the college? We might have some common experiences to talk about.

2. Kristenon 03 Nov 2012 at 5:04 pm

Unfortunately, I have graduated from the college, but Morocco is becoming a more popular study abroad destination for students at Wooster, and there are other students on campus who have also studied in Morocco.