Summer in Wooster…so far

June 5th, 2010

Good afternoon all you lovely people!  I hope you have been having wonderful summers so far, and that you are finding time to rest, relax, and read some books… or at least catch up on your favorite television shows!! 🙂  This is my third weekend here at Wooster during the summer.  I have to say, the campus feels different without all the students, but it isn’t a bad feeling.  I’m actually sort of having a really great time.  First of all, I get my own room!  Now, that seems normal, one generally has roommates in college and most people tend to really miss their single room back home.  Only, I don’t have a single room back home; actually I share it with both my sisters.  That’s right. A TRIPLE.  It even looks like a college dorm room with the beds bunked and lofted, a shared boudoir, and desks and dressers crammed into every possible corner.  So for  me to be in a rather spacious single room is quite unnatural.  It was really really really weird and unnerving at first, especially since I didn’t have built in company who I could talk to because they lived there.  I had to make an effort if I wanted to have human interaction.  Thankfully, I’m rather introverted and don’t need to be around people every single second to be happy.  Actually, I’ve gotten quite a lot done in these few short weeks all by myself.  I’ve made some excellent dinners (including straw-berry rhubarb pie!), read three books and have started on my fourth one this morning, watched some really good foreign films, and made significant headway on my craft project.

This isn’t to say that I’ve loafed around doing nothing all day for the last three weeks.  I have a job.  I’m a research assistant to a professor in the Political Science and International Relations departments.  Every morning, Monday through Friday I walk over from my dorm to the main academic building on campus to my “office.”  It’s not really an office.  I believe it’s official title is “student worker room” and I share it with one other person who is also doing sophomore research, but for a different professor.  It’s really great because I’m learning how to conduct good research, which will come in handy when I have to start independent study in (gasp) a little more than a year.  So, I sit there from 9am until 5pm and do a myriad of things pertinent to his research, and he has a lot of interests/research topics, so I’m doing a lot of different things.  However, he was in Vienna this past week (lucky) and so I had some assignments to work on, which was fine, except that it kinda got a little tedious by Friday around 4pm.  So, I’m excited for Monday to come when my boss will be back and I can start a new project!

You know what else has been weird??  For the last month, I can’t tell you how many thunderstorms we’ve had.  I know that loud and scary thunderstorms are quite prevalent around the mid-west, but this is a little ridiculous.  The first week after school got out there were storms that were so bad tornadoes were forming and touching down and I got a lot of emergency emails, texts, and automatic phone calls from the school telling me to get to the lowest point of the building, even when I went to my grandparent’s house for a few days before I started work.  And this last week, it has rained, I kid you not, literally every day.  Around noon the sky would get really dark and there would be a torrential downpour for a few minutes, maybe some thunder and then it would go away until the evening when another storm would come along.  Last night, the storm was so big the lightning actually woke me up before the thunderclaps it was so bright, and if you know me well enough, you know that I can basically sleep through anything, so for something to be so bright that it woke me up at 1:30am, it must have been bad.

Also, I know this post is getting really long, but I really want to tell you about this dream I had the other day, it was kinda funny.  So I dreamed that I was already in Morocco and at my host family’s house.  Oh yeah, if you don’t know, I’m going to be studying abroad in Morocco this fall.  I leave September 1st!  Anyway, I was at their house and my host mom says (in French, cause my Arabic wasn’t that good yet), “Hey, come see this American show.  Do you watch it back home?”  Curious, I went over to see which American TV show she was referring.  I got into the TV room and found her watching Glee, dubbed in Arabic.  That’s right, Glee, which I must confess, I’ve actually never really seen.  Why Glee?  I don’t know, but if I do find out that you can watch Arabic-dubbed Glee in Morocco that would be just about the best thing ever.

Okay, I must know brave the fearsome weather and go grocery shopping/return some library books!  Cheerio!!