B’sslama Morocco…Willkommen in Deutschland

December 21st, 2010

So, I have officially left Morocco and am currently sitting on my bed at my uncle’s house in Germany.  It was an emotional last few days in the Maghreb.  Everyone was busy taking final exams and writing final papers.  I know I was.  I spent all weekend studying for four finals and writing two term papers.  I’ve never had this much fun ever.  I’m totally kidding.  It was a pretty tough way to spend the last week in an amazing country.  I wanted to be out and about in the city, not stuck in my room writing a paper.  Well, all my finals went well, my Arabic professor brought us cake and tea, which was delicious!  I got all my term papers written and turned in on time l’humdullah, and I got all my shopping and gift buying finished.  On Thursday, our last day, we spent the morning in a re-integration seminar.  A bunch of us did presentations about various topics.  The only two boys that were in our group gave a power point presentation that documented our semester pictorially and reflectively.  Myself and the three other girls that interned at Transparency Maroc presented about our work at the organization, and the advanced Arabic students gave a presentation about Morocco, in Arabic.  I could understand a portion of what they were saying, which made me happy.  🙂

That afternoon we were bused to Agdal to do some glass painting and oriental dancing.  It was really really fun.  We painted little tea-lite holders and learned a nice little oriental dance routine.  The teacher even had little scarves that we could tie around our wastes like real dancers.  It was fun seeing all the girls get dressed up.  Afterward it was time to go relax and chill out before our farewell dinner.  Everyone showed up at the farewell dinner dressed to the nines…at least, as dressed up as we could be with a limited wardrobe selection.  It was emotional.  It’s hard to write about it, I’m not sure I can accurately describe the mix of emotions that was running through every-one’s hearts.  All 19 of us had been through so many trials and tribulations together.  We got each other through some pretty tough situations, whether it was dealing with culture shock and homesickness, to actual miserable illnesses that involved hospital visits and powdery medication.  We also were there during all the wonderful, amazing things as well.  We were all together at the top of a mountain in the Mid-Atlas and rode for two hours in the Sahara desert on camel back.  We went to Spain together, and walked to class together, and ate couscous at each others houses.  We became different people together.  I think that we’re all more open-minded and flexible because of our experience.  I’m sure each person’s experience was different, but I think that one thing we will have in common is that we’ll be able to all relate to each others stories and experiences as we undergo re-integration into American culture.

The last week of IES Rabat was an emotional one.  The biggest topic of conversation seemed to be what people were going to do when they got back state-side.  “What are you going to do the minute you get off the plane?” “What food are you most looking forward to eating?” “Who are you most anxious to see when you get back?”  Questions like these were frequently discussed amongst us while we were supposed to be studying for finals.  While those were certainly questions that are fun to discuss, I was hesitant, because I did not fly immediately to the United States.  I’m spending Christmas with my uncle and his family in Stuttgart, Germany and then will be traveling around Europe for a few weeks before returning to the States.  I tried not to think about “home” too much because I knew that “home” for me was still three weeks away.  Although I’m super excited and grateful to have this opportunity to do some traveling around Europe, it was really hard to hear my friends talk about going home when I knew I would have to wait a few more weeks before I could talk to my dad face to face or hug my mom.

All that emotional stuff aside, my traveling day went pretty smoothly.  My luggage was miraculously underweight, I got to the airport in time to discover my flight would be leaving at 6:50am and not 7:50am, which ended up being better because I was on the same flight with some of my friends from the program.  We separated at the airport in Paris where my flight to Frankfurt was only delayed 30 minutes.  I got to Frankfurt and ran to the train station, getting there just in time for my train, only to learn that my train from Frankfurt to Stuttgart would be delayed 50 minutes.  That train ride went smoothly after that, all my breakable stuff that I had in my luggage all remained in one piece, l’humdullah!  I arrived in Stuttgart without suffering any major setback or hassle.  Some of my friends weren’t so lucky.  I had a friend who left Rabat a full 24 hours before I did and as of 7pm last night (Monday) hadn’t managed to leave the Paris airport because of various delays and scheduling and other nonsense.

All throughout my stay in Morocco I was never so sick it required a hospital visit (l’humdullah), but since I’ve been in Germany, I have been at the hospital every single day.  I guess I was bitten by a bug in Morocco, and it got all swollen and infected when I was traveling, so the next day my uncle took me to a German ER to get it looked at.  They lanced the infection to drain all the gross stuff out, packed the small hole with gauze and wrapped up my leg and told me not to walk on it.  I’ve been back every day since then to get the dressing changed.  They told me it looks good.  I still cannot get over the fact that I have a small hole in my leg.  Today they didn’t repack the hole, they just put a bandage and ointment on it and sent me home.  I have to go back tomorrow to get it looked at, and that should be the last time, hopefully.  So it’s been an interesting experience so far.  Willkommen in Deutschland right?

One Response to “B’sslama Morocco…Willkommen in Deutschland”

1. Lauraon 23 Dec 2010 at 9:16 am

Wow. Do your classmates intend/want to return to Morocco, as I know you do? Let’s plan a trip together!